Irish Stout Gingersnap Cake
A spicy cake, mellowed with the sumptuous chocolate tones of our Dry Irish Stout, coated with an intoxicating rum glaze and topped with warm caramelized apples.
1 cup dry irish stout
1 cup molasses
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
3 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons baking poweder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon grated, peeled fresh ginger
1. preheat over to 350 degrees. butter 9” round pan
2. in a large saucepan over high heat, combine the stout and molasses and bring to a boil. turn of fthe heat and add the baking soda. allow to sit until the foam dissapates.
3. meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the eggs and both sugars. whisk in the oil
4. in a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom.
5. combine the stout mixture with the egg mixture, then whisk this liquid into the flour mixture, half at a time. add the fresh ginger and stir to combine.
6. pour the batter into the pan and bake for 1 hour or until the top springs back when gently pressed. do not open the oven until the gingerbread is almost done, or the center may fall slightly. transfer to a wire rack to cool.