We are thrilled to report that our Imperial Oatmeal Stout was awarded a Bronze Medal at the 2010 Great American Beer Festival (GABF) last weekend!
The Boundary Bay Brewery Imperial Oatmeal Stout is a heavy weight monster of a beer that is definitely not for the timid! This is a black, very rich and full-bodied stout with a silky smoothness that gives way to a long “roasty” finish. We make it with Centennial and Fuggles hops and finish it with a combination of malts including Pale 2-Row, Dark Crystal, Chocolate, Oats and Roasted Barley. This big brew has brought home lots of awards before: 2009 Bronze at NABA, 2008 Silver at GABF, 2006 Silver at NABA, 2005 Bronze at NABA, 2004 Bronze at WBC, 2004 Silver at NABA and a Bronze at NABA in 2003.
It’s always an honor to receive accolades for the beer we brew, but it’s especially exciting when there were 3,523 other beers vying for medals as well! GABF remains the largest commercial beer competition in the world and judges over 130 styles of craft beer. All in all, Washington breweries were well represented in the GABF winner with Pyramid, Elysian, Hale’s, The Ram and Chuckanut all bringing awards home too. Cheers to Washington Beer!
Great American Beer Festival 2010 Statistics
- 455 breweries in the festival hall
- 2,200+ beers served at the festival
- 49,000 attendees
- 3,400 volunteers
- 516 breweries in the competition from 48 states (including Washington, D.C.)
- 3,523 beers judged (includes 75 Pro-Am competition entries)
- 79 style categories judged, plus the Pro-Am competition
- 151 judges from 10 countries
- Average number of competition beers entered in each category: 44
- Category with highest number of entries: 142, American Style India Pale Ale